Fuller's Earth also called Multani Mitti is basically a chemical auxiliary factor. This tasteless and odorless clay is offered in gray or white or slightly pink color. This clay material is reckoned for its excellent decolorizing properties and good adsorption level. Multani Mitti's physical properties can be defined by Van Der Waal’s forces. This naturally found mined clay is inert when it comes in contact with chemicals. This clay consists of magnesia, lime, iron oxide, alkali and high amount of water. This non swelling type clay has excellent bleaching attributes. It is excavated from mines.
- IUPAC Name: Attapulgite
- Other Name: Bleaching clay, bentone, benclay
- Molecular Weight: 180.058 g/mol
- Molecular Formula: Al2H2O6Si
- CAS Number: 70131-50-9
- EC Number: 615-286-8 (ECHA)
- PubChem CID: 517273
- State: Solid/powder
- Appearance/Color: Gray or white or slightly pink
- pH Value: 7.5-8.5
- Particle Size: 200 mesh
- Density: 0.5+0.10
- Specific Gravity: 32-37
- Solubility: Insoluble in common organic solvents and water
- Whiteness: off white
- Purity: 100%
Uses of Fuller’s Earth:
1) In skin care products manufacturing unit, it is used to formulate face packs for its excellent anti bacterial properties. This clay based product is ideal remedy of oily skin and pimple.
2) In fertilizer formulation, Fuller’s Earth is used as suitable carrier.
3) It is used as ideal binder during production of animal feeds.
4) It is also utilized as extender and mineral filler in other fields.